Know Your Ambassador: Rapid Fire with Srihari@Union College, NY

Name: Srihari Balaji
High School: The Indian Public School, Erode and Smart Minds Academy, Chennai
College: Union College, NY
Major: Mechanical engineering
College Year: 1st Year (freshman)

Q1: When did you decide that you wanted to study abroad?
A1: I decided in grade 11 that I wanted to study abroad

Q2: Why did you want to study abroad?
A2: I wanted to study abroad because of the great quality of education, high emphasis on research, and numerous opportunities in aviation industry.

Q3: Who helped/guided you with the College process?
A3: Admissionado, a college admissions consulting services guided me in my college application process.

Q4: What was your proudest accomplishment(s) during your High School years (in or outside of school)?
A4:
1) Being one among the 7 students in India to be awarded the Next Genius Scholarship to attend Union College for my undergraduate studies. I was also awarded certificate of merit for being among the top 10% of the 6700 students who applied for Next Genius Scholarship in 2018-19.

2) Awarded the All India Winner of The National AstroPodcast Competition in three out of four categories.

Q5: Why do you think your College admitted you?
A5: My passion and enthusiasm for aviation and physics. And also due to my urge to excel in academics.

Q6: What has been the biggest surprise so far in college?
A6: -

Q7: Something that you know now, that you wish you had known in High School?
A7: Don’t sweat the small stuff. Don’t dabble in too many activities. Academics is the most important. Standardized test scores and extra-curricular activities are second.

Q8: Are you happy with your College decision?
A8: Yes

Q9: How many students from India are in your batch in College?
A9: Not sure. I have interacted with 3 other Indian students so far.

Q10: Your advice to College-bound aspirants? (2 or 3 things)

1) Focus on a couple of activities and excel in them. Quality is more important than quantity. Colleges want to have an all-rounded class NOT all-rounded students. Don’t dabble in too many activities.
2) Grades matter the most. Excel in academics. Only if you are able to do well in academics, you should involve in 4 or more extra-curricular/co-curricular activities. Else, limit EC’s to 3.
3) Attempt SAT and ACT mock tests before deciding which test to take. Don’t follow the herd mentality.

Hope you liked this Rapid Fire. If you have questions for Srihari about Union College, now is the time to ask!